Some beneficiaries of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) are accusing the Police Service of frustrating their plan to embark on a demonstration exercise to demand allowances owed them.
The beneficiaries, who had scheduled a protest for today, Friday, said they were forced to call their demonstration off because the Police had repeatedly failed to approve their request for protection.
According to the affected NABCO recruits, government owes them allowances dating as far back as December 2018.
A demonstrator who spoke to Citi News said: “We wanted to demonstrate last week but the Police came out and said we submitted our letter to them on 6th of March so they cannot help us demonstrate on 8th…We pushed the demonstration to today and they also tried to say that they are not going to cover us up with protection and we do not know why because we were supposed to embark on this demonstration this morning but unfortunately it did not come on because the Police said they are not going to protect us.”
“We cannot work with an empty stomach. This is something that officials should understand,” another said.
The Nation Builders Corp (NABCo) is a stop-gap measure by the Akufo-Addo government to address graduate unemployment.
A few weeks ago a group of Nation Builders Corps (NABCo) recruits protested the delay in payment of their allowances.
Some NABCo recruits complained that they had not received their allowances since the program began.
The Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said the delay in the payment was due to inaccurate data on the payroll.
He said the affected persons must update their information before they can receive payment.
“NABCO secretariat sent messages to beneficiaries to correct their data for it to be rekeyed into the system. The secretariat informs us that 9,235 of them have now corrected their data and thus will be paid this week. Their December and regular stipends are also programmed to be paid immediately afterwards,” he said.